Monday, October 29, 2007

Make Believe College Emerges in Second Life

Make Believe College Emerges in Second Life

I have known about Second Life, the virtual world created by Linden Labs, for some time; however, my own small adventures there were a struggle. I wasted about 12 hours, over the course of several sittings, learning how to shape my avatar, navigate the SL world, and understand the SL approach to communication and commodity (buying/building houses, shopping, etc.). Once I understood the basic mechanics of the site, I was not terribly interested in or engaged by virtual shopping, buying a virtual car, building a virtual house, or other "chores" and activities lurking on the other side of my LCD screen. I don't care, at this point, about being a twin with my avatar by ordering my own real-life matching t-shirt to match her digital version.

My initial impressions were as follows: SL is interesting but it seems a little pointless, and why am I wasting all these hours with no particular end purpose in mind? I haven't gone back since.

This article from the Chronicle of Higher Ed's Wired Campus site, however, offers a focused purpose. Now I can apply to and attend a fictional university in SL? The article offers more detail, but in summation, it's all still a game. You are not really taking classes, earning credits, and working towards a degree. Kindly State U. is advertising for faculty and staff...does that mean that it will one day truly function? Other (already accredited) universities have put content and classes online in Second Life, and I would be interested in students' reactions to the virtual learning environment.

The future potential is interesting, but for now, I have to agree with comment #5: "i do enough work at my real college… I don’t think I need another job – virtual or otherwise. :)"

No comments: